Tuesday, September 25, 2018

"An Inspiring Experience" - International Jazz Meeting in Estonia



"I kept having to pinch myself...": Marco Salinas' Road to Estonia

My journey to Viljandi, Estonia for the A-JAM program has been a bag of good emotions. It certainly has pushed my level of playing drums. I first heard about A-JAM from my friend Francis Stromboe, who himself was a participant in this organization a couple years ago. He gave me a synopsis of the program. So, through Alamo Colleges you can audition through a program called A-JAM (Alamo Jazz All-Stars Mentorship), directed by Katchie Cartwright from Northwest Vista College, and the number one audition is then nominated to be selected for the IASJ (International Association Schools of Jazz) meeting

Once selected, there is a commitment to prepare and be prepared for different musical situations. I was very fortunate to have Joe Caploe, my drum instructor, to guide me along the way. 

A-JAM "creates opportunities for San Antonio students to succeed both locally and internationally in the intercultural collaborative field of jazz." Locally you participate in jam sessions around town, and play specialty events. Also, this past June I got the opportunity to record at KRTU Jazz 91.7 FM for the annual A-JAM performance in the studios at Trinity University. I had the privilege to be interviewed by J.J. Lopez, station manager there. 

The grand prize of the program is attending the International Association of Schools of Jazz (IASJ) meeting. Every year it is held at a different location around the world. This year the meeting was held in Viljandi, Estonia. The experience I had that week (July 2-7), was life changing! The meeting was hosted by Inaki Sandoval, Director and Headmaster, at the University of Tartu Viljandi Culture Academy. 

During the week we would meet to have special guest speakers discuss areas of jazz, for example, such topics as "Brazilian Jazz in Modern Large Jazz Ensembles" or "Influences of Impressionism in Jazz Harmony." 

Every day we would have rehearsals with our combo ensembles to prepare for our concert at the end of the week. Every night there would be a jam session, where students and teachers get together and jam to jazz standards. 

The music created that week was incredible! I kept having to pinch myself, to make sure I was not dreaming. I couldn't believe I was performing with people from all over the world. I had the privilege to perform with students at the concert from Sweden, Latvia, Greece, Germany, Netherlands, and Argentina! I also met other students from other countries, such as France and Portugal. These students were representing some of the finest schools in the world, like the Royal Academy of Music in London, and the Paris Conservatory just to name a few. It was an amazing week of jazz music. Met some great people which I know will turn into lifelong friendships. 

I have to thank Jeff "Siege" Siegel, from New York, and Joana Bettencourt, from Portugal, for guiding us during rehearsals. Thank you guys for your advice and encouraging us. Also, thanks to Nick Smart, artistic director, and Wouter Turkenburg, executive director, for running the IASJ in Viljandi. I can't forget about the ladies! Thank you Tuulike Kivestu, head organizer of the IASJ meeting, and her lovely assistants Kristi Oolo, Mari-Liis Pulder, and Liina Junolaine.  This experience was life changing. Jazz is in good hands!


"A very important program": Notes from A-JAM faculty representative Joe Caploe


As a representative of the A-JAM Jazz Mentorship Program I took Marco Salinas, a student at San Antonio College, to the 2018 International Schools of Jazz (IASJ) meeting in Viljandi, Estonia. The conference features six student combos comprised of talented jazz students and a faculty of jazz artists and educators from around the world. Marco had the opportunity to play in one of the combos on drums. 

I coached one of the combos and it was an inspiring experience helping to get the students ready for the Friday evening concert. All the combos played primarily original music they had composed before arriving at the conference. Although Marco was thrown into the most challenging musical situation he has ever been in he did very well and had a great attitude about the experience. He stayed late and practiced every night and really pulled it together for the concert. 

One great aspect of the A-JAM program is that, whichever student is selected to participate, it is a life changing experience where the student can really see where their contemporaries are at and in turn where they are at. The IASJ Conference serves as a catalyst for musical growth and is therefore a very important program. One a personal note it was inspiring to know that jazz music is in good hands with these talented students. Not to mention the special camaraderie and friendship that is formed during the week of the conference. 

It was an honor to serve as the representative of the A-JAM program and help my student Marco to gain a life changing musical experience that he will use to propel his music career. I'd like to thank Katchie Cartwright for leading the A-JAM jazz mentorship program and Alamo Colleges for the opportunity to participate in this prestigious conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment