Thursday, September 15, 2016

A-JAM at International Jazz Meeting 2016 - A Student's Perspectives

Wondering what it feels like to participate in the international jazz meeting that's linked to the A-JAM program? Here's a perspective from San Antonio College student Francis Stromboe, who went to the Berklee Global Institute in Boston for the 2016 meeting...


"My experience with the A-JAM program and being a part of the International Associations of Schools of Jazz (IASJ) meeting, held at Berklee in Boston, MA, was like nothing I’ve ever thought possible for myself. With the mentorship of the A-JAM faculty I was able to excel beyond the musical plateau that I found myself at. 

During my time at Berklee I met many great students and musicians from all over the world. It was noticeable the level of musicianship there was extremely high from the first note of the auditions held the second day my arrival. It was an amazing experience collaborating with the group I was paired with after the audition process. 

It was great to see how music translates so well no matter what language you speak or where you come from. The jam sessions held at various places in Boston gave me all the motivation I needed to get out of my comfort zone and just get up and play.

 The lectures and master classes involved with the meeting were of extremely high value and packed full of great information. I was introduced to many jazz artists new to me and also new concepts of practicing, playing and analyzing music. Being a part of A-JAM and IASJ was a once in a life time experience that I’ll never forget. I made friends with fellow musicians from all around the world. 


Our group, along with several other groups, played a concert together in the Boston Conservatory and recorded in the new state of the art recording studio at Berklee. 


I advise every jazz musician at the Alamo Colleges to audition for the A-JAM program because it opens up so many great opportunities and will push you to new limits and beyond."

Next year it could be you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment