Audition and Interview
- Although there is a general format for the audition and interview, each experience is unique—just like you.
- We strongly encourage you to visit Berklee's campus in Boston to participate in the audition and interview; tour our facilities; and meet with faculty, students, and staff.
If you'd like to get better prepared for applying or going to Berklee, enroll in a free online course.
Your AuditionThe audition will be approximately 15 minutes long and may consist of the following parts:
- a prepared piece of your choice;
- an improvisation over a harmonic vamp, simple-form blues, or standard tune;
- a reading selection; and/or
- melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic ear training exercises.
We recognize that it is common for applicants to have imbalances in their playing abilities, and we realize that applicants may not have advanced skills in improvisation, reading, or ear training. In fact, this is exactly why you might apply to attend Berklee: to develop your skills in these and other areas. Because we take a holistic approach in our evaluation process, each component of the audition helps the audition team assess your overall abilities as a musician and your potential for success at the college level.
Acoustic Bass, Electric Bass
Baritone Horn, Bass Trombone, French Horn, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba
Drum Set, Hand Percussion, Marimba, Orchestral Percussion, Vibraphone
Banjo, Cello, Harp, Mandolin, Viola, Violin
Bassoon, Clarinet, Flute, Oboe, Saxophone