Thursday, April 1, 2021

Drummer Andres Montez named 2021 A-JAM student honoree!

Please join us in welcoming drummer Andres Montez into the A-JAM program for 2021! Andres is a student of Joe Caploe and Dr. Armin Marmolejo at Palo Alto College. Read Andres Montez' personal statement about his road to jazz and his hopes for the coming year in A-JAM. On behalf of the distinguished A-JAM panel of judges, Aaron Prado (piano, theory) and Brian Christensen (reeds, theory) / Northwest Vista College), Joe Caploe (drums, percussion / Alamo Colleges), Gregory Gonzales (reeds, voice / St Philip’s College), Joan Carroll (voice), Richard Oppenheim (saxophone), and Ron Wilkins (trombone, voice), I wish Andres a wonderful year as our A-JAM honors student!  Thanks to everyone who participated in this year’s auditions. Congratulations and thank you for your continued hard work! - Dr. Cartwright

 

"My personal experience with jazz started in high school, where I attended South San Antonio High School and joined the jazz ensemble there under the direction of James Morales. Hearing the rhythm of the jazz music and the bass of the drums within it for the first time sparked my interest in jazz which later turned into an obsession. Since then I have strived to learn as much as I can about jazz drumming and the language itself. I studied at San Antonio College for a year under Joe Caploe and was in the Jazz Ensemble under Andrew Gignac. Currently I am attending Palo Alto College where I am in the Jazz Ensemble under Dr. Armin Marmolejo. 

 

One thing that drew me most to jazz is the freedom in the music. I love how open and free flowing it can be and the ability of being able to “trade” off with other musicians. Another reason is the passion and respect jazz musicians treat the craft and the tradition yet also, try to enhance and build upon it.Thus, always trying to push new limits with the music while keeping true to the original.

Although some may shy away from auditions, I relish in the opportunity in which I can take my playing and musical comprehension to the next level. It would truly be a dream come true to surround myself in an environment full of great musicians and educators willing to share their knowledge with me. My professor Joe Caploe was the first to tell me about the A-JAM program last year. I auditioned last year but was not selected. At that moment, I made it my goal to audition again to demonstrated how much I have grown as a musician and that I have what it takes to be selected for the A-JAM Mentorship program. I hope to gain invaluable lessons in music and life itself. 


I am confident that it can change the course of my music career, not only as a player but as an educator for the future. Learning and having to adapt to the various styles that will be introduced to me will not only help me but will develop me into a better musician pushing the limits of my own playing techniques. Not only will I contribute my playing skills and musical comprehension, I will also bring heart and discipline for the music during this opportunity. 


I am eager to represent not only myself but also my professors and school with my continued hard work and dedication to increase my knowledge of jazz music. I was informed about the A-JAM mentorship program by my professor Joe Caploe and my fellow colleague, former winner of the program, Fernando Munoz. Both shared how the A-JAM Mentorship program is an awesome, one of a kind, experience. Being able to play and learn in an environment with top tier musicians, can only help the participant to become a better player. Traveling to a different country, meeting others with the same passion, and experiencing the different forms of jazz music will make for a lifetime experience culturally, educationally and but most importantly, musically. Accordingly, I would like to thank you and the panel of judges for giving the wonderful experience within the A-JAM Mentorship and looking forward for a chance at a lifetime opportunity to enhance my passion and career.


Now having been selected, I would first like to thank the panel of judges and the A-JAM mentorship program for the once in a lifetime opportunity. I am truly honored and excited for the opportunity. Thank you once again.” – Andres Montez, Palo Alto College

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment